[ale] Linux starter

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Sun Jul 8 12:54:07 EDT 2001

Hi there,

	Well here is my advice and this is matter of prefrence I guess. I
uesd to work at and ISP and we always installed everything. All of
it! That way you have it if you need it... Anyway there are some things
you need to be careful of. If you have space it does not matter if a
progrma in sitting there not running however you need to make sure there
is nothing that a malicous user could run on the system that would let
them gain root. You also need to make sure that there are no programs that
are open to the world such as nfs and things like. Really you should be
well aware of what is running on what ports anyway It just seems like with
those out of box setups like that you are always missing something.

As for the question of installing qpopper. I am not sure what
error you got but I would try `rpm -Uvh qpopper-blah-blah.rpm` and report
back what it says to you.

OK. Just trying to give some ideas...

Ken

 On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Bourque, Phillip C wrote:

> Hi Ken
>
> I am trying to get this qpopper pop daemon up and running.
>
> What is the difference in a server install or a workstation install when you
> setup Linux 7?
>
> I setup a server install yesterday but then when I tried to install the rpm
> for qpopper it did not know what to do with the rpm file.
>
> Did I not install something correctly?
>
> If I want a server install with the xwindows and gui interface and be able
> to install rpm files what addition package should I install?
>
> Thanks

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s)
named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged
or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense
of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not
authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating
social faux pas.

Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere
other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or no grammatical use
and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email,
although the kelpie next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you.
Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to
learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning
 backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft.

However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your
computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you
have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites,
whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.