[ale] Anyone know how to compile Xfree86 4.1.0?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jul 7 09:07:03 EDT 2001

> I recently built 4.1.0 on a fresh RH 7.1 system.  The build took about
> 80 minutes on a 650 MHz PIII and when it finished, there was about
> 625 MB in the build tree.  There were no major problems but don't
> forget to do an ldconfig and restart the font server, etc.

Well as I should have done from the start, I finally got around to reading
the INSTALL document. Basically it's as simple as editing the site.def
document in the config directory and doing a 'make World'. Took a couple of
hours on my older machine. Also I had a couple of bugs from the patches. But
it did compile and it works. The only thing I'm left with is trying to get
both copies of X to run at the same time.

BAJ