[ale] Are our Ethernet drivers in danger?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Jul 3 23:11:01 EDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Bao C. Ha wrote:

> Bite me!  Not all of the Ethernet drivers are written by
> Donald Becker.  The copyright of a few of them were
> reassigned by Donald to the NSA, not NASA, in 1993,
> probably required by his terms of employment.  And I
> wrote my driver in my free time while working for the US
> government.  There was no requirement to give the copyright
> back to Uncle Sam.

Ah...but there was a requirement. From your comments in the source:

"This driver is written by cutting and pasting the skeleton.c driver
provided by Donald Becker. I also borrowed the EEPROM routine from
Donald Becker's 82586 driver."

Therefore...under the viral requirements of the NSAGPL, your Intel
EtherExpress Pro/10 device driver now becomes the property of the NSA and
will be subject to immediate modification to achieve interoperability with
the NSA's backdoors in Windows NT in order to save M$ the trouble of doing
it themselves once they have purchased the rights to all GPL'd ethernet
drivers at fair market value persuant to the settlement agreement with the
DOJ in their recent Anti-Trust case.

All your code are belong to us...

Unfortunately I've been flamed over "silly" posts before by folks under
WAY too much stress, so here's the disclaimer:

PLACE TONGUE IN CHEEK NOW. RELAX. I'M KIDDING!!!

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security