[ale] Little OT: Blind Future: Advise Wanted

Mike mnelson at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 1 15:55:26 EDT 2001

All good advice above, but if I could start over (and I won't - I'm too close
to retirement), I would combine the two ideas.

For one thing, don't plan on being an employee. All work sucks sooner or
later. Be a boss, go to meetings and hang with other bosses. It beats the
hell out of having one foot nailed to the floor as an employee and it pays a
lot better. But, you say, I'm not a jerk - I can't be a boss - and I don't
want to claw my way up the ladder. You don't have to be like that, most
bosses aren't a**holes, they just don't care about you, but if you think
about it for a minute, neither do your co-workers.

Get a four year degree in something you like, but prepare to join to military
as an officer. Do ROTC for example. If you can do that well, and make it to
Colonel, (it still wouldn't be easy), you can retire in 20 years with good
pay, excellent bennies, and then do anything you want. You'd also be
surprised at how much respect you would acquire from people who can open
doors for you.

If you find out later you just can't stand being in the military, and there
are a lot of good reasons for that as well, at least you got paid better as
an officer and got some experience as a "manager".

Planning on working for a living all your life as an employee is not one of
the best ideas you can have, but most of us take that (being an employee) as
an assumption because that's what "they" want us to think.