[ale] Little OT: Blind Future: Advise Wanted

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Sun Jul 1 13:40:40 EDT 2001

Get at least a four-year college education!

In the last decade, the economic expansion had created
a huge demand for IT professionals.  The requirements
were dropped so they could fill these positions with
anybody who knows how to spell "computer".  It is
slowing down now, and we have had a chance to reflect
on our talent/skill spool.  The people with a formal
college education tends to be more flexbile and could
learn new technologies.  The people with just
certifications knows to do just what they are trained
for.  There are always self-starters who manage to
learn on their own even without a college education.
Unfortunately, these are also the people who will get
what they want and rather difficult to retain.

You also don't need to major in computer science.  A
colledge education is supposed to provide life-time
learning skills.  However, the computer science at
the graduate-study level is very exciting.  In the
next few years, I think the development efforts will
move toward formal software engineering so we can
manage more effectively big/complex projects
integrating multiple disciplines/technologies.  In
another words, hacking code is no longer in vogue.

Bao