[ale] Coolpix 885

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Thu Dec 27 10:12:19 EST 2001

ALErs -

I also have a Coolpix (older model 750) with Compact Flash storage. I use
the SanDisk reader to offload images. (This is a USB device.) It works
great, but not in Linux: the power-down feature was not supported when I
checked, and I believe this is necessary to safely remove the card from
the reader.

Actually I read the files into our iMac, and transfer them with 'scp' to
the Linux box. It's very simple in our setup, though it sounds
round-about: the iMac also does well for printing the images.

Has anyone more recent information, or a successful approach - say with
PCMCIA and an adapter to CF? (I will probably stay with my present working
arrangement rather than spend money on it, though.)

My model also provides RS-232C for downloads, not USB. The serial link is
slow and I've given up using it, and consumes batteries [rechargables,
thankfully] at a prodigous rate.

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, David Corbin wrote:

> I was fortunate enough to get a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 885) for
> Christmas.  It uses Compact Flash to store images, and communicates to a
> PC via USB.

Regards -
 John Mills