[ale] Weird X question ( X output )

Ken Nagorski kenn at refriedgeek.com
Sun Dec 16 10:25:36 EST 2001

Hi there,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. A quick look into the
sample X config that it gives you shows how to set the Hsync, I used the
"safest" set of values from the sample Xconfig. I don't know why it didn't
pick it up. I never had a problem on my other computer. Or any of the
various hardware I have plugged that poor monitor into.

*Shrug* It's fixed...

Thanks
Ken

> Ken Nagorski writes:
>  > Hi there,
>  >
>  > Sorry that took so long, I had a bunch to do last night. I put the
>  > output on the web http://www.refriedgeek.com/~kenn/X.html
>
> I notice that your monitor is configured as:
>
>     (II) S3VIRGE(0): Monitor name: CyberVision C
>     (II) S3VIRGE(0): Monitor name: 70-2
>     (==) S3VIRGE(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
>     (--) S3VIRGE(0): videoram:  4096k
>     (--) S3VIRGE(0): Detected current MCLK value of 54.886 MHz
>     (WW) S3VIRGE(0): Monitor0: Using default hsync range of 28-33kHz
>     (WW) S3VIRGE(0): Monitor0: using default vrefresh range of 43-72Hz
>
> Is this correct?  That isn't much of an hsync, and I also notice that
> all the failed modes up to 1280x1024 are out of your hsync range:
>
>     (II) S3VIRGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of
> range)
>
> You either need a new, better monitor, or to fix the hsync in
> XF86Config-4.
>
> I'm guessing you just need to fix the settings.  It looks like it is
> using some kind of default values, rather than a detected or
> configured value.
>
> Assuming you can find the info in you manual, try specifying your
> HorizSync and VertRefresh in the Monitor section of your config file
> like this:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier "Generic|High Frequency SVGA, 1024x768 at 70 Hz"
>     VendorName "Unknown"
>     ModelName  "Unknown"
> # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
> # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a #
> comma separated list of ranges of values.
> # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S #
> USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
>     HorizSync  30-64.0
> # VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
> # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a #
> comma separated list of ranges of values.
> # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S #
> USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
>     VertRefresh 50-100
> EndSection
>

> --Michael
>

> ---
> This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list. See
> http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml for more info. Problems should
> be  sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

But I don't want to go among mad people,
Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat:
we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat,
or you wouldn't have come here.