[ale] contracts and moonlights

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Sat Dec 15 23:54:20 EST 2001

I tried sologig a few months ago when they had a special of 3 months for
$50.  I was disapointed because the vast majority of the postings were
the same you find on headhunter.net, which is free.  They have some type
of parterning arrangement with headhunter.net I think.

I even wasted a couple of hours one afternoon going to an interview with
a recruiter for a contract position they had only to find out once I got
to their office that they don't do 1099 or corp-to-corp arrangements,
only w-2.  You would think that if they find you on a site named
sologig.com they would know your not looking for a w-2 position. And, I
wasn't smart enough to ask before hand. Live and learn, I guess.

That said, the contract (40 hrs/week) I'm now on came from my posting
there.  Another independent contractor found me and was looking to
replace himself on a project so he could move on to another project with
the company he was supporting (so I guess the 50 bucks was worth it.  It
really cost me $75, because they automagically keep billing you until
you cancel ($25/mo), and I had forgotten about that until my credit card
bill came in.  I cancelled and am not currently a sologig.com member.

I also recently (2-3 months ago) joined the ICCA (www.icca.org) which
does have an Atlanta chapter.  I have picked up a 2nd client (10-20 hrs
per week, luckily most is remote administration of Solaris/linux boxes)
that located me through my listing there.  That is a little more pricy
to join.  I can't remember if you have to be incorporated or not (all
the members I know in Atlanta are).  The annual fee is based upont the
number of consultants in the company.  $250/yr is the lowest.      Less
than 3 weeks after joining though, my second client found me and my
membership was more than paid for by the first invoice I sent them.

YMMV.  My $0.02.

Gene