[ale] XP and Samba

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Dec 11 14:11:27 EST 2001

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Geoffrey wrote:

> sangell at nan.net wrote:
> >
> > With regards to your NetBEUI statement.......Quite possibly the
> > understatement of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Plus for my own two cents worth....It seems that a lot of folks think
> > NetBEUI and NetBIOS go hand in hand and one needs the other to function. I
> > have seen many cases where it was thought that NetBIOS relied upon NetBEUI.
>
> Appears they are somewhat related according to the Samba link
> definitions someone else posted:
>
> NetBIOS API (Application Programmer's Interface),
> NetBEUI (NetBIOS Enhanced User Interface)

The basic difference is that NetBIOS can be implemented over any transport
layer (see RFCs 1001 and 1002 for implementation over TCP / UDP).  In other
words, NetBIOS is implemented at layers 5,6,7 in OSI.  NetBEUI, however,
standardizes the network and transport layers as well (eg, implemented at
layers 3,4,5,6,7 in OSI).

NetBIOS is an application-level API, while NetBEUI is both an
application-level API and a network stack implemented on top of 802.2.

later,
chris