[ale] lost sound via isa-pnp module

mbarker68 at home.com mbarker68 at home.com
Fri Dec 7 09:40:19 EST 2001

While attempting to get a parallel port scanner running on Mandrake 8.1
I lost my sound.

All I did was load the sane and gimp plugin packages and run "kudzu".
When this didn't work I rebooted to windows because I needed OCR anyway.
When I came back to Mandrake I had no sound and upon running sndconfig
it returned

The following error occurred running the modprobe program:

/lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/sb.o.gz:
init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/sb.o.gz: insmod
    /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/sb.o.gz failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/sb.o.gz: insmod
    sound-slot-0 failed

The module sb.o.gz is there and sndconfig did recognize my sb16 card.

Any suggestions on how to fix this and ideas on what might have happened
would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael