[ale] Bind Error

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Fri Sep 29 12:06:04 EDT 2000

For starters, take a look in your /etc/inittab for a line
that begins "ld:".  That will tell you the program which is
failing to run because of the "Address already in use" error.
Knowing the offending program will help narrow down the
possible causes for the error.

Just guessing, I'd suspect it's related to starting an X
session with xdm, since that involves binding of socket
addresses.  Other common things that are respawned are mgetty
and mingetty, but I don't think they mess with sockets.

Running "netstat -ap" would show you what addresses are in
use, and what programs are using them.  Addresses that are in
the listen state are most likely the ones of interest.

--Joe