[ale] OT: Looking for good theme for network names

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Fri Sep 29 12:05:45 EDT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Chuck Mattern wrote:

> This is just a little off topic here because I'm looking for a good naming
> scheme for a network comprised largely of Linux machines.  I'm hoping to find
> something out of literature but not too heavy (I remember the story of the
> four laser printers of the apocalypse).  Currently I have a hodge-podge and am
> in the process of a major clean up so it seems an apt time to re-address and
> rename the machines.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mine have been named in alphabetical order by age.  These are not
necessarily all current machines, btw, but ones I have had in the past as
well as current....

Machine		OS		Name
Pet 8032	-		Alfred
C-64		-		Bruce
C-128		-		Cosmo
Amiga 500	AmigaOS		Daphne
Amiga 2000	AmigaOS		Ethel
Amiga 1200	AmigaOS		Francine
K5/133		Windows NT	George (current)
K6-2/550	RedHat 6.2	Hermes (current)
386/20		Slackware 3.3	Indiana
Sparc IPX	Solaris 	Julius (current)
K5/166		RedHat 6.2	Killer (current)

The only other thematic aspect here is that all of the Amigas had female
names (they are amigA's, not amigO's) and that Killer is my firewall box,
and so is deserving of a vicious name.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
There seems to be no limit to how long Verizon can hold up delivery of