[ale] access is STILL rigged ! was: Earthspring DSL kit hasarrived !

Agent Durga durga at burntmedia.org
Sat Sep 23 06:22:51 EDT 2000

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Glenn C. Lasher Jr. wrote:

> It is also worth noting that cable modems are available in my area, but
> that I have opted for Telocity DSL because (1) they are Linux friendly,
> and (2) I get a static IP address from them.

when i was shopping around for my dsl line i specifically asked for a
static ip since we have a minimum of 6 computers that get
online...mindspring wouldn't do it and said that if i tried to stay on the
same ip by maintaining a fulltime connection they'd terminate my
account...and when i asked about linux they said they did not support
it...then they tried to sell me a $150/month isdn line that was going to
get about half the bandwidth of a dsl...i said thanks, but not thanks...

in the end, i went with Phoenix DSL for the following reasons: 1) i took a
class at georgia tech about telecommunications law and the teacher was the
lawyer that negotiated their interconnection agreement, 2) they gave me a
static ip, 3) if i agreed to a 2 year commitment (which has it's
disadvantages of course) i got the modem and install for free, and 4) they
didnt' care if i ran my own registered server right from my home...

the catch is once you sign up, who ever is your "sales rep" is *your*
sales rep....which is nice because it's always the same person, but, they
are busy, so getting things done on their end can be a bit of a hassle...

<shrug>

-drew