[ale] Coyote linux / cable modem / dhcp

Gary S. Mackay Gary at edisoninfo.com
Tue Sep 5 11:25:08 EDT 2000

I was playing with coyote linux over the weekend but can not get it to pull an
IP address from my cable modem (Road Runner). I answered 'N'o to the Road
Runner DEC stuff during the diskette creation since I don't log on that way.
The cable modem, near as I can tell, is just a media converter, no IP address,
etc. When I switched my RedHat box to it, I didn't have to do anything other
than add a second NIC and tell it to use DHCP. Fired up first time and working
ever since. I tested the dhcp stuff on the coyote disk by switching the NIC
cables and it pulls an address just fine from my RH box, it just doesn't seem
to want to do that when plugged into the cable modem. Any thoughts?

- Gary

--
Edison Information Technologies
P.O. Box 554