Multi-drop PPPoE (Re: [ale] Mindspring/Earthlink DSL and linux?)

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Tue Sep 5 11:58:52 EDT 2000

I think that the intersection of the sets of 386 and PCI is the null set.
I'm not sure, but I think that the 386's best days probably came about in
IBM boxes.  Banyan also built some nice 386-based servers "back in the day."

For Coyote, LRP, or other bare-bones firewalls, I feel like ISA-bus cards
are not going to be a limitation up to DSL or cable-modem speeds.  For
something that is a lot more complex, like the NetMAX Firewall/Router, which
is a total hog, that would be another story.

Now, I understand that there can be a lot of performance variability just
among ISA cards.  I got hold of an NE2000-compatible from IBM that had a
shared-memory mode, for instance.

One curiosity that I have on hand but have yet to use is a 3com 3C515 - an
ISA-bus 10/100 card.  I get the feeling that trying to run that card at
100base-TX would be bumping up against a bus limitation...

- Jeff