[ale] RH6.0 and enabling 'telnet' and sibs

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 25 08:06:26 EDT 1999

At 07:19 PM 6/24/99 -0400, you wrote:

>     Installation and intial use of RH6.0 (hedwig) have gone well (_very_
>well, I find), but I notice I can't telnet, rsh, etc. into my new box.
>Should I do something to expressly enable ordinary-user logins by net?
>This worked 'out of the box' in my earlier setups, so I never knew what
>permissions were required. I assume I have to set something, since I can
>'ping' the system, but my login requests are refused.  TIA-

John;

I take it that you are trying to telnet in from another system and not
trying telnet locally.

Check the /etc/inetd.conf file and insure telnet is enabled.  If that is
the case, the try telneting in again, and let it wait a couple of minutes.
I found that it took a long time to telnet from a machine that was not
properly set up on a DNS.  In fact, I had to make sure that both the
primary naming and reverse mapping were set up before I got a quick login.
You may be in the same situation.  If your network is small enough, you may
be able to do it just by editing the /etc/hosts file by including all of
the systems that you know will be telneting in from.

To all in ALE - is there a way to disable this so that on a small network
without a DNS or editing the /etc/hosts file one can telnet in without the
annoying time delay?

Regards - Bob