[ale] 'fips' usage question

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Thu Jun 24 15:37:42 EDT 1999

Full product Partition Magic 3.0 (and, by inference, 4.0) should handle this
fine. I assume you are aware of the potential pitfalls: (1) expanding the
extended partition (hda2?) will give you free space at the front and
creating a new partition here will change the drive designations
(hda5->hda6, etc.); (2) moving the boot partition (hda5?) will invalidate
the LILO loader tables.

Least impact would seem to be in creating a new primary partition using PM
as it will relocate the extended partition to hda3 and create the new
primary partition in hda2; this would leave hda5-6-7 intact.  Using Linux'
fdisk would force you to create hda3 as the new primary and some legacy OS'
(Redmond? Boca Raton?) might choke if the MBR partitions aren't in logical
block order.