[ale] desktop size

Tom tom at watson.st
Tue Jun 22 20:07:26 EDT 1999

I was having the same problem and it was driving me nuts.  I am pretty
new to Linux but I will tell you how I fixed it.

I have Mandrake 6.0 running KDE and most people suggested running XF86Setup
but I did not have that. So what ever X configurer you have (I ran
Xconfigurator)
run it and when it comes to the screen where you set up the 8bpp, 16bpp,
and 24bpp
(select video modes) you will have choices like 640x480, 800x600, etc. try
checking
only one in each bits per pixel column. My particular monitor worked best
with 1280x1024
but ran off the screen with 640x480, which sounds like your problem. The
first time
I set up the video modes I checked the entry for each of the resolutions
and evidently
Linux choses the first one when you boot up. I was using 640x480 all the
time for me.
Someone suggest how to toggle from one resolution to another with ctrl
<something>,
but I lost it in the last disk crash I had.

Hope this helps, I spent about 3 weeks working on this one.

Tom