[ale] PPP weirdness

Chris Farris chris at perun.room17.com
Fri Jan 29 16:07:04 EST 1999

This one is baffling.... I've been hacking on it all day....

Ok, I'm running Linux-2.1.106 as my PPP gateway. When I go to
http://www.bellsouth.net/external/adsl/ I get 284 bytes into the page
and the http connection stops.

Each time it hangs on the "<!--" String. It isn't the first instance of
"<!--" in the file, it is the one in the "<script" tag. I have no proxies
or firewalls configured.

I have tried three different modems, from two different makers, three
different computers running 2.0.27, 2.0.35, 2.2.0-pre5, and 2.1.106.

I have tried two different providers, on three different modems. The
only similarity is I think they are all Total Controls (Mindspring &
DSCGA), and I'm calling from the same Bellsouth landline.

I can copy the page from the bellsouth server, and move it to another
server and download it fine.

pppd -v reports: pppd version 2.2 patch level 0

Can anyone else reproduce this problem? You need to be running PPP under
linux. Spellcaster's Bablyon or a real router don't produce the problem.

Thanks
Chris

Chris Farris				chris at hawkeyenetworks.com
Hawkeye Network Solutions		http://www.hawkeyenetworks.com/
"How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel and Microsoft?"
				- CyberVeep Al Gore on Y2K.