[ale] Re: modules fail symbol lookup

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Jan 7 23:17:57 EST 1999

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> Yes - anyone moving to the new kernels needs to move to glib rather than
> libc5. This is going to be tougher on the slackware and debian folks than
> it is the redhat users (AFAIK) but its well worth the effort once done.
> People moving from libc5 will have to rebuild a lot of their code.
> Unfortunately, this often causes people to believe that glib is less
> stable than libc5 was but that really isn't the case at all. Better start
> getting ready for 2.2 now....

There's no real need to switch to glibc2 to run 2.2 kernels.  A few of the
more bleeding-edge features allegedly require glibc2, but that can often be
worked around by linking apps with an additional library (Unix98 pty support
is this way, for example).  I'd recommend that people use glibc2 over libc5,
and modern distributions over libc5-based ones, but that recommendation is
for other reasons; the kernel and libc5 work well together.

Heck, there are people running 2.1 / 2.2pre kernels with a.out and libc4
(though that is *not* supported and requires a bit o' end-user hacking to
get it to work).

later,
chris

--