[ale] need advice on adding frontpage ext to Apache

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Jan 7 23:16:52 EST 1999

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Steven A DuChene wrote:

> We are doing some server replacement here and have convinced the admin folks
> to go with Apache but they insist on adding the frontpage extensions to the
> server "in case" anyone wants to use that for publishing web pages. Several
> of us in the know have a pretty good idea that this is NOT a good thing but
> we would like info or actual evidence to present on why that is.
>
> So if anyone has addition info we could present on why frontpage extensions
> are a bad idea to put on a Apache/Unix system please let me know.

As you can see, I'm still catching up on email from before the holidays ;-).

The ISP providing my ADSL service has a FAQ about why they don't provide FP;
see http://www.xmission.com/help/www/whynot_fp.html . Once you get past the
FUD for the clueless (Roxen is "advanced software that most webmasters/ISPs
would have difficulty working"?  Only if they're brain-dead), some of the
links are quite informative.

If you want, a partial work-around which lets them use FrontPage to do their
composing (why they would want to is beyond me, but that's another matter)
are the utils to convert .asp to .php.  So, the lusers could write their
pages, upload them using FTP, and then convert them to php.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu