[ale] newbie: modem configuration

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Wed Dec 29 21:48:51 EST 1999

Nick,

Dial in using minicom. When you get through the login process, do
"Exit without reset" from minicom, then start pppd, and you should
be connected. You will need to take the "connect" option out of
your /etc/ppp/options file for this to work, since you've already
made the physical connection and you -don't- want ppp to use chat
to do so.

When you do it this way, you can also use the "-detach" command-line
argument to pppd to make it send its output to the window you started
it from. That way you might be able to figure out why it has problems
connecting, and figure out what other options you need to add or remove.
Once you've ironed out all the problems, put the "connect"
back in the options file and away you go.

HTH,

-- Joe