[ale] PCI Modems

Bill Hamilton chamilto0516 at netscape.net
Tue Dec 28 16:21:39 EST 1999

I have a Hayes Super Speed V.90/K56flex PCI Modem.  I want to get this to work
with my AMD K6/Red Hat 6.0 Linux system.  All the HOW-TO and FAQ's I have read
indicate that "some" PCI modems work with RH/Linux and "some" do not.  I
attempted the install and configuration but failed.  When I `cat /proc/pci |
more`, I can see the device but I can't find it associated with any of the
typical serial port /dev devices. I even went into the bios and disabled COM2
thinking that it was trying to pick up one of the primary COM ports.  No luck
there either.

I have US Robotics internal ISA 33.6 modem installed now.  I used jumpers to
hardwire it to a specific IRQ and COM address and that seems to work.

If you got any ideas, post them here or send them to
chamilto0516 at netscape.net.

I haven't checked yet but does anyone know if the 2.4 Kernel have better PCI
support?

-Bill Hamilton

Bill Hamilton                     chamilto0516 at netscape.net
AOL-IM(cwh0516)ICQ(21768767)                    DNRC Member
Fight SPAM, Don't Delete it, see http://www.cauce.org