[ale] Corel/Sun/JAVA observation

Rob Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 13 15:13:06 EST 1999

http://yahoo.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-1494104.html?pt.yfin.cat_fin.txt.ne
(I hope this works -- it was linked via Yahoo)

Corel has announced they expect 1/2 their revenue to be from
Linux within 5 years.

What is more interesting is that the article states that Corel's original
objective, which they punted on, was developing a Java-based office suite.
To quote "Corel ... hopes that Linux will provide the salvation that
Java didn't."

If I remember correctly, Sun has explicity stated that their reason for
acquiring Star Office last summer is to "trim the fat" and port it to Java.

Can Sun succeed where Corel gave up?

Dr. Robert Butera, Assistant Professor                       GGGG
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering		    G
Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences		    G   GGGTTTTT
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 		    G    G   T
contact info --> http://www.ece.gatech.edu/users/rbutera/    GGGG    T