[ale] scsi-emu and riping from an atapi device

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Sat Oct 24 13:14:45 EDT 1998

Ok,
  So when it finds it, What type of driver do I tell the ripper that it is?
I know scsi, but do I tell it mitsummi as the model?

Robert

Thus spake Chris Ricker (kaboom at gatech.edu):

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
>
> > Ok,
> >   I'm using mp3make to rip some mp3's to put on my laptop.  Well, I have
> > 2 Cd's.  One is scsi, (2x) one is ATAPI (24x).  Obviously I want to use
> > the ATAPI to rip.  The question is, what is the device to use for the
> > ATAPI using the emu?
>
> The SCSI emulation devices are /dev/sr#
>
> However, you can't have compiled ATAPI cdrom support into your kernel at all
> to use them.  It's an all-or-nothing deal.  You either have to go all SCSI
> for them, or all IDE.
>
> If you've got it configured correctly, you'll see the SCSI layer identifying
> your IDE drives at bootup, something like:
>
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> scsi : 1 host.
>   Vendor: RICOH     Model: MP6200A           Rev: 2.20
>   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>   Vendor: E-IDE     Model: CD-ROM 24X/AKOx   Rev: 16B1
>   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
> scsi : detected 2 SCSI cdroms total.
> sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
> Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.14
> sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
>

> later,
> chris
>
> --
> Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu
>                                                chris.ricker at m.cc.utah.edu
> It's not like I have 15-year-old girls
> throwing their underwear at me.
> I think the 15-year-old geek inside me
> is still disappointed about that.
> 	-- Linus Torvalds, _Time_, 10/26/98

Robert L. Harris                |   Windows NT --
Senior System Administrator II  |        Micro$oft's Ode To
  at Great West Life.           \_            P. T. Barnum

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: