[ale] scsi-emu and riping from an atapi device

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Oct 24 12:46:05 EDT 1998

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:

> Ok,
>   I'm using mp3make to rip some mp3's to put on my laptop.  Well, I have
> 2 Cd's.  One is scsi, (2x) one is ATAPI (24x).  Obviously I want to use
> the ATAPI to rip.  The question is, what is the device to use for the
> ATAPI using the emu?

The SCSI emulation devices are /dev/sr#

However, you can't have compiled ATAPI cdrom support into your kernel at all
to use them.  It's an all-or-nothing deal.  You either have to go all SCSI
for them, or all IDE.

If you've got it configured correctly, you'll see the SCSI layer identifying
your IDE drives at bootup, something like:

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: MP6200A           Rev: 2.20
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: E-IDE     Model: CD-ROM 24X/AKOx   Rev: 16B1
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
scsi : detected 2 SCSI cdroms total.
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 6x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.14
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu