[ale] ISDN

Tom Wiencko tew at wiencko.com
Fri Oct 23 13:12:17 EDT 1998

Williams, Jim wrote:

> Since I can not get a cable modem or ADSL ( has anyone been able to get this
> in the Atlanta area...I couldn't) I was thinking of getting ISDN for the
> home front.  Anyone have any experiences with ISDN at home?  Will it be
> difficult for me to use Linux as the host server??
>
> Jim Williams
> Business Systems Analyst
> Accu-Tech Corporation
> jwilliam at accu-tech.com <mailto:Jwilliam at accu-tech.com>

I use ISDN (basic rate, one or two B channels) for my ISP link.  I love
it.  Most reliable phone line I've ever used.  I'm using a Motorola
BitSurfer Pro.  Other than making sure you get the network interface
configured properly for the switch you are attached to, it is a dream
to connect and use.

I did do myself a wiring favor and run the line over a spare pair in
a Cat 5 wire run I already had handy.  Don't know how standard house
phone wiring would work.

-Tom
Tom Wiencko                                            tew at wiencko.com
President - Wiencko & Associates, Inc.