[ale] Su Problems

Hat hackrat at psiu.ml.org
Thu Oct 8 19:27:43 EDT 1998

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, denethor wrote:

> Hi again. I seem to be having problems adding a user from remote host.
> after logging in with my normal account, I change to root (su command)
> log in, there is a man entrry for useradd, but when I try to use it , it
> comes up bad command, or not a valid command. I am, as you have probably

Fairly simple. Are you using `su` or `su -`? (I use the `` to contain
commands. You don't actually type them).

If you type `su`, it gives to root without running your .profile or
.bash_profile or whatever your shell of choice uses for a login script.
This is where the paths or usually set.  So, you log in, su, and useradd
isn't in your path.

If you do `su -` instead or `su`, it will probably work for you.

> seen from prior posts, still new to linux, but from the problems before,

This is something that many new Linux people don't learn soon enough. A
very common problem.

-Hat