[ale] ALE Showcase 1998

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Oct 1 18:14:50 EDT 1998

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Linux Idiot wrote:

> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >
> > jkinney enscribed thusly:
> > > The package you referred to is Linux Office 99 from SUSE.
> >
> >         YES!  That's it!
> >
> >         I was just having a momentary brain fart and could not remember
> > where it was from to save my soul.
> >
> >         Thank you!
>
> Just checked out SUSE web site, and they give a pretty good description
> of the goodies, including GIMP, 'a fax solution,' KDE and ADABAS D
> Personal Edition (SQL database).  I think I'm going to go for it. I'm
> going to check out the info page to see if there are any gotchas with it
> being an SUSE dist. and I'm running RH.  Says any release of Linux
> (1.2.13 or better).

Be careful.  My understanding is that if you get the Applix from Applix, it
will have both glibc and libc5 versions and packaged in RPMs compatible with
RedHat (as well as a tarball). Applix from SuSE is reputed to be libc5 only,
and then you get the fun complication of its RPMs possibly not being
intended for the RedHat file system layout.  Personally, it's worth $20 to
get the glibc version (assuming that's true--I've not actually checked).

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu