[ale] Linux as a Terminal Server?

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Thu Oct 1 15:20:45 EDT 1998

> Ok,
>   I'm going crazy right now trying to find a "system" I can use as a
> terminal/console server. I need something that I can connect ttya from
> my Servers (SUN) to the serial of some machine and use it to remotly
> access the physical console of my server.  This way I can login as
> root remotely in an emergency (NIS  is down) or send a STOP-A/break
> to hardbood the machine.  Does anyone know if I can do this with a
> Linux box with a serial port multiplier?  Has anyone done it?  Any
> suggestions?

Take a look at "cu" .

	cu -l /dev/cua0

should do the trick (I hope) - and yes it can send breaks.

You can also use "minicom" (more user friendly - can also send breaks)

I bought a cheap (~125$) 8 Port serial card named TC800 from
www.byterunner.com
because I needed two extra serial lines. All the two port cards needed two
slots for the connection. The 8 Port card came with a special octopus cable
and only occupies one slot.
It does not need a special kernel because it uses normal uarts
just some configuration on startup using setserial.

I bough the card with ST16C550s chips because it looked like they are better
supported
by the serial driver then the more expensive chips (ST16C650s).
I think the fifo is disabled on ST16C650s.

I would not use it to hook up a modem pool - but it should handle enough
reboots per second :-)

Stephan