[ale] Using smbmount?

geary geary at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 5 00:18:50 EDT 1998

 I got what is probably an easy set of ques.  I am trying to allow
non-root users to mount a Win NT 4.0 Server share in their home dir.
I have gotten so far as having suid'ed smbmount and users can mount
their shares as needed.  Now there are 2 probs.  One is that they
can't get into the mount point because its permissions jump to
'd---------' as soon as the mount happens.  I've tried various
combinations of the -f and -d options with no change.  Using the
'-u <user-id>' doesn't help cuz a non-root user still can't access
to a 000 dir even if they own it.  The second problem that I think I
have a solution to, is how do I give these users permission to umount
their shares?  I have suid'ed smbumount but I can't figure out how to
address the shares.  It always says that the share is not a Samba
share unless it is umount'ed as root w/ 'umount /unix/mount/point'.
I am sorry if the last ques is a true RTFM type ques but I just
couldn't get 'smbumount /unix/mount/point' or 'smbumount //win/share'
to work for an unpriviledged user.
   thank for any guidance you can give,
      -geary
--