[ale] File systems problem.

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 15 01:03:02 EDT 1998

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Michael S. Donelan wrote:

<snip>
> device, I get the error message "hdc is not /etc/fstab or mtab". I didn't
> see a response to this question in the newsgroup and was wondering if it
> was posted or someone could help me with this problem.
<snip>

	Though I don't remember the previous posting about not being able
to mount a drive, my $0.02 would be to do as follows:

	. Do a "cat /etc/fstab" and see what shows up. Do you see
something to the tune of:

/dev/cdrom                /mnt/cdrom                iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

	If so, then just doing a:
	#mount /mnt/cdrom

	would automagically mount the CD-Rom device (/dev/cdrom) to the
directory /mnt/cdrom.

	If you don't see such a line, add one to /etc/fstab. The above
line would be used for your CD-Rom. If you know your CD-Rom is /dev/hdc,
then you can just replace the "/dev/cdrom" with "/dev/hdc".
	In the case of a floppy, you can add a line to the tune of:

/dev/fd0                  /mnt/floppy               ext2   noauto 0 0

	to your /etc/fstab. By doing this, if you type "mount
/mnt/floppy", your floppy device (/dev/fd0) should get mounted to the
directory /mnt/floppy. Of course, you need to create the directories
/mnt/floppy and /mnt/cdrom beforehand.

						Hope this helps,
							- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech