[ale] digest mode mailing list seperated out?

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 7 15:39:53 EDT 1998

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Steven A DuChene wrote:

> I get digest messages from several mailing lists and I am wondering if
> anyone has ever seen a utility to separate a digest back out into individual
> messages again. I have several digests from a mailing list that is not
> archived anywhere and would like to see about separating the messages back
> out in order to incorporate them into a searchable archive.
>
> I can't possibly be the first person who has wanted to do this so I don't
> want to have to re-invent the wheel so to speak.

Procmail will do this.  Here's the appropriate part from my .procmailrc for
one of my digest lists:

:0:
* ^From.*owner-linux-kernel
|formail +1 -ds cat >> Linux-Kernel

I get linux-kernel as a digest (to cut down the load on vger).  Procmail
looks for the From header associated with it, then separates it out into
separate messages which it dumps into my Linux-Kernel folder.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                        gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu

"Philosophers have merely interpreted the world.
The point is to change it."
	-- Karl Marx