[ale] pcmcia ethernet card (fwd)

Geoffrey Myers geof at denali.abraxis.com
Thu Jan 23 08:13:40 EST 1997

}Howdy. OK. I have RH 4.0 installed. Stock stuff straight off the cd-rom, on
}my HP Omnibook 5000.
}
}I have a 3Com Etherlink III (3C589C) pcmcia card. Plugged in to the lap top
}and hooked to the network.
}
}How do I get Linux to recognize the card? I know there's a pcmcia/3c589_cs.o
}file in /lib/modules/2.0.18/pcmcia, but insmod sez

This isn't going to be much help, but while I was at the USENIX conference
in Anaheim, I was talking to this guy that had a Canon laptop with Linux on
it and I mentioned that I was getting an HP 5500 for work and was
planning to load Linux.  He told me that HP was using some unusual chip for
the pcmcia stuff and that it didn't work.  Now this is a 5500, not a 5000
and I have no idea if this guy really knows what he's talking about, but
it might be an avenue you can check out.

By the way, have got X running on that thing?  I noticed on the laptop
support page that the 5000 has a CT65545 controller, my 5500 has a CT65548,
so I'm not sure it's going to work.  Anyone with any insights on this
puppy, I'd appreciate feedback.

}
}	CardServices: wrong version or undefined
}	register_pcmcia_driver: wrong version or undefined
}	unregister_pcmcia_driver: wrong version or undefined
}your linux-2.0.18
}
}Halp!
}
}Thanks,
}
}Arnold
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com	http://www.abraxis.com/geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....