[ale] general CPU/MB setup question

Joe jknapka at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 21 00:16:43 EDT 1997

All the recent talk about CPUs on this list has reminded me of
something.

I recently acquired (for free) a machine containing a new motherboard
with a Cyrix 686 chip on it. I have no documentation. The chip is
marked "P-150+ 2.5v core 3.3v I/O", and there are some DIPs on the MB
with voltage settings from 2.3v to 3.5v. I set the MB to 2.5v,
assuming the DIPS set the "core" voltage, and ignored the "I/O"
voltage. It's been running fine for about a month now, but... am I
slowly frying my CPU?

Also, is there a good, up to date book that will explain to me all the
nooks and crannies of PC hardware configuration in general?

TIA,

- Joe Knapka