[ale] Dual AMD chips?

andy dread at atlcom.net
Wed Aug 20 23:33:35 EDT 1997

Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > I'm currently running dual P166's on my Tyan board.  Does anyone
> know
> > if an AMD chip would work in Dual mode?
> >
> > Also,  is a K6 able to run in a Pent Motherboard?
>
> Yep.  At least the docs for the motherboard I bought about 6 months
> ago
> says it will support:
>
> Intel Pentium 75-200 MHz
> Cyrix 100-166 Mhz
> AMD 75-100 Mhz
>
> There's a set of dip switches that you have to configure.  I've got a
> 75MHz in
> there now and plan to upgrade to a 200MHz MMX shortly.
>

> > Robert
> >
> > --

> > Robert L. Harris          |   If NT is the answer,
> > System Engineer For Hire. \_    You don't understand the question
> >
> > Email:
> > Robert at ast.lmco.com
> > http://www.orci.com/~nomad
> >
> > DISCLAIMER:
> >   These are MY OPINIONS ALONE.  I speak for no-one else.
> >
> > perl -e 'print
> > $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
>
> --
> Until later:
> Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com       http://www.abraxis.com/geof
>
>         Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....

The board you purchaced 6 months ago does not support AMD K6MMX even
though it
is a socket7. However it may work if your board has dual voltage setting
for the CPU.
It must have a 2.8v core with 3.3v I/O capability. If this is so then a
simple bios upgrade
would get things working perfectly. Typically, If a board supports MMX
then
it will work fine.  I've had some problems with earlier boards that
supposedly support MMX
but there is no documented setting for dual voltage CPUs.  And all MMX
CPUs are
dual voltage. The AMD 75-100 is the K5 not K6.  The K6 has MMX, 64k
Level 1
cache as apposed to 16k for Pentium/PentiumPro, and 32k for
PentiumMMX/PentiumII.

AMD supports the Open-PIC SMP architecture, but i am not sure if the ANY
of their
CPUs support SMP. I have been unable to find a confirmation anywhere on
their site.
Intel's own is A-PIC which has to be licenced for a hefty fee or face
them in court :-(.

/andY