[ale] ISDN on Linux with synchronous cards?

Dan Mount dmount at itserve.com
Fri Aug 1 20:49:09 EDT 1997

I use an external BitSurfer Pro w/Linux for a 128k (read 115200bps, limited by
my serial port) connection. This is definatly NOT the way to go for maximum
thoroughput. There isn't any reason that you couldn't use a router in
combination w/a linux box that has 2 network cards in it (as a firewall)... It
is my  experience that a router is the best way to achieve maximum thoroughput
with "a small" amount of headache. Read: I have not used any of the ISDN cards,
this is just my experiences...

On 01-Aug-97 Susan Liebeskind wrote:
->At my work, we are planning to run a 128k ISDN connection
->through a Linux box, and need a bit of advice on hardware and
->feasibility.
->
->Specifically:
->
->o We'd like to use a synchronous card so that we're not limited by a
->115k baud async serial connection.
->
->o We prefer to use a card/modem rather than a bridge/router, so that
->we can use the linux box as a firewall/gateway.
->
->o Can we make an internal BitSurfer Pro work with Linux?  I did not
->see the BitSurfer listed in the Hardware lists but it is such a
-> popular card. If not the BitSurfer, then what would you recommend
-> instead?
->
->o Any particular versions of the kernel recommended, i.e. 2.1.x
-> instead of 2.0 for newer, (read experimental) additional support.
->
->o pointers to useful links.  We have found the European-centric doc,
->but since ISDN is different in Europe from the States, we are in
->search of documentation focused on setting up ISDN here.
->
-> ------
->
->
->Any tips, pointers, horror or success stories appreciated.
->
->Thanks.
->
->Susan Liebeskind
->
->
->--
->Susan Liebeskind (susan.liebeskind at gtri.gatech.edu)
->GTRI/ITTL/CSITD
->347 Ferst St
->Atlanta, GA  30332-0817                                Phone 404-894-4266

--- Dan Mount ---
--- dmount at itserve.com ---