[ale] How can I determine my own dynamic IP domain name?

aesop aesop at persist.paradise.net
Wed Oct 2 03:27:50 EDT 1996

When pppd connects, it will run /etc/ppp/ip-up.  The 4th argument to this
script is your local ip address.  Likewise, pppd will run
/etc/ppp/ip-down upon termination.  Read the man page for pppd.  Search
for ip-up for all the parameters.

 On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, John M. Mills wrote:

> When I establish a PPP link, I recieve an IP name which ranges over
> gtri-[1 .. n].remote.gatech.edu and I would like a simple script to extract
> that domain name so I could pass it in scripts to remote hosts.
> For example I want a script to fill in <my_local_host_name> to do:
>   % rsh -l <me> <remote_host> xterm -display <my_local_host_name>:0 &
>
> I expect I could parse the return of 'netstat -t' but if anyone has a
> neater suggestion that would be nice.
>
> Local HOSTNAME of course doesn't reflect the dynamic IP slot I received.  It
> stays at <my_git_logname>.remote.gatech.edu.
>
> TIA,
>
> John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
>    Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
>         Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
>         EMACS: 'Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping' -- anon

Dogbert: Has your electronic mail system made you more efficient?
Dilbert: In a way... Now I'm getting ignored at the speed of light.
						-- Scott Adams