[ale] Lilo with Redhat 4.0

Michael Morris mjm at avana.net
Mon Nov 18 09:50:59 EST 1996

I finally got my LILO installation problems solved. I wanted to thank
all of those whose sent me suggestions and to let you know that the
solution was to add the 'linear' command to my lilo.conf file.

Also, I just wanted to thank Todd Lewis for his presentation on security
at
last Thursday nights ALE meeting. I thought it was an excellent talk.

> I installed the new Redhat 4.0 distribution on my machine and everything
> worked beautifully with the exception of the Lilo installation. I have
> been trying to get Lilo to work for a week and I've run out of ideas.
>
> On bootup, I get the 'LI' prompt and then my system freezes. According
> to the documentation, "The first stage boot loader was able to load the
> second stage boot loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either
> be caused by a geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without
> running the map installer."
>
> I'm not sure what to do at this point. /boot/boot.b is updated by
> running /sbin/lilo which is used to install Lilo, so this should not be
> the problem. I do see something that could be a geometry mismatch, but I
> don't know exactly how to interperate the information. According to the
> output of dmsg (shown below), "hda: Maxtor 71626 A, 1554MB w/64kB Cache,
> LBA, CHS=789/64/63". According to the output of /sbin/lilo -q (shown
> below), "Device 0x0342: BIOS drive 0x81, 64 heads, 786 cylinders, 63
> sectors. Partition offset: 68544 sectors". I am guessing that BIOS drive
> 0x81 is /dev/hda but I do not know how to determine this. Neither of
> these parameter reports match my drive parameters which are: 16 heads,
> 3158 cylinders, 63 sectors.
>
> Does anyone understand if this is my problem, and if so, exactly what
> does it mean and how do I correct it??

<Big Snip>

--
Ciao,