[ale] Sig11 problems compiling kernels

Daniel Boyd dboyd at berry.edu
Mon Nov 18 08:58:49 EST 1996

Hi all,
I have finally taken the plunge into 2.0 kernels (yeah I'm chicken
and hate to fix things that aren't broke) hoping that the 2.0 kernels
would solve a few (real) small problems....

I cannot compile a kernel on my DX4-100 box at home.  This has been a
lingering and nagging problem that I have worked around by compiling
kernels at work and bringing them home.  When I "make zlilo' the
kernel compiles fine for a while and then will randomly exit at some
point with "Internal compiler error..program cpp got fatal signal
11."  I have found the sig11 FAQ and have tried the memory tinkering
to no avail.

Is there any truth to the claims of overloaded Vesa local buses?  My
box is configured as follows -- Intel DX4-100 on VLB motherboard, two
VLB cards - IDE controller from VIA, and a generic S3 video card.
SoundBlaster 16 with Panasonic 2X cd-rom attached, three IDE hard
drives, Win95 on hda1, MS-DOS 6.22 on hdb1, and linux on hdc.  Also
USR 14.4 modem.

Any comments, questions, criticisms of this arrangement?  I am truly
desperate to compile a kernel and get everything working.

Dan

Daniel Boyd, CNA              Voice: 706/236-1750
Network Manager               Fax: 706/295-2921
Computing and Technology      email: dboyd at berry.edu
Berry College         "Never challenge worse!" - Quag