[ale] Re: 2.0 no go!

hab hab at ece.engr.ucf.edu
Sun Jun 16 21:37:23 EDT 1996

jim wrote:

> Since I downloaded the 2.0 kernel, it consistently refuses to compile.
> To answer in advance the obvious questions: Yes, I read
> /Documentation/Changes. The only things I haven't installed are
> sysvinit2.60 and hdparm-2.7. These things have to be compiled and
> nothing will compile all the way through, right now. And yes, I am using
> the patched version of make. When I try to compile, I do a make
> mrproper, then a make config. When I get to make dep, it gets down to
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/char, then I get the following messages:
>
> gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -o conmakehash conmakehash.c
> /usr/lib/crt1.o: In function '_start':
> /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text + 0x2b): undefined reference to '__fpu_control'
> /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text + 0x31): undefined reference to '__setfpucw'
> /usr.lib/crt1.o(.text + 0x39): undefined reference to '__libc_init'
> /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text + 0x43): undefined reference to 'atexit'
> /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text + 0x56): undefined reference to 'exit'
> /tmp/cca028921.o: In function 'usage':
> /tmp/cca028921.o(.text + Oxd): undefined reference to '_IO_stderr_'
> /tmp/cca028921.o(.text + Ox12): undefined reference to 'fprintf'
>
> and so on, in a long string.
>
> I think I screwed up when I upgraded to ELF. Some things have not worked
> since then and now nothing compiles. I confess. I did it. But I don't
> know what I did. Any clues here that say what I am missing or what make
> can't find.

Jim
	You didn't state where you started from and where you are at visa
vi GCC, Libc, Bin Utils.  The above messages look like some discontinuites
in the use of Libc and the Kernel headers.  If you made a big jump from
a.out to elf at the same time we may need to come up with a faq for the
jump.  The error message above shows up during a link phase so it doesn't
make sense as a make dep to me.
	I guess what I am suggesting is fresh start from an elf compiled
base if possible.  But even the most recent will take upgrading for all
the possible configurations to work note many packages are  out with
final patches to match 2.0.0
				Hubert