More Netscape Woes

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Fri Feb 16 23:03:30 EST 1996

> My current resolution is either 320x200, 256 color or 640x480, 16 color.
> I don't remember offhand.  Is netscape just not happy with my vintage
> Cirrus card?  I.e., is it refusing to make an appearance dressed in
> shabby clothes, so to speak?

	Yes, I would guess and say that is probably your problem. I bet the
	X version of netscape won't run in 16 colors. I have a very small
	(136 lines of code) piece of C code that will tell you how many
	free color cells you have available. I could post it to the list
	with the simple makefile if anyone is interested. You should
	try to get a card with at least 1Mb of video memory (this should
	let you do 1024x768 @ 256 colors). I would ask Vernard if he still
	can get that $80 ISA video card he asked about a few weeks ago.
	That would be just the thing your system probably needs to let
	you run netscape and other X applications.

--
Steven A. DuChene       Linux Weenie!    http://www.ysu.edu/~sduchene

Those who are mentally and emotionally healthy are those who have
learned when to say yes, when to say no and when to say whoopee.
                -- W.S. Krabill