Removing lilo boot and Linux from disk

Todd B SanMillan bain at crl.com
Fri Feb 9 12:06:53 EST 1996

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Steven A. Duchene wrote:

(snip)
> > Jim Copenhaver - Atlanta- Northridge wrote:
> > >
> > > I want to purchase an additional disk for Linux and restore my "c" drive
> > > to it's previous "dos only" mode.  How can I remove lilo and restore my
> > > partition to it's orig. size?  I would rather not take the big hammer and
(snip)

> 	"fdisk /mbr" (the MS-DOS fdisk, not the Linux fdisk BTW) will not
> 	restore the single partition on the disk. It MAY restore the normal
> 	DOS boot record. I know of no way to enlarge you DOS partition back
> 	to the original size to fill the disk. If I am mistaken about this
> 	I would be happy to know of some way to accomplish this. You will
> 	have to back up the data on your DOS partition, re-create the full
> 	size partition and re-install from backup.
> --
> Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
1-800-633-3600

>              The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
>                  X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
>                   I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.

I just recieved some promo lit. on a product called Partition Magic,
which will do just that (for $49.95,$69.95 if you also want to deal with
OS/2).  I got an endorsement of it from a friend who works for the CDC,
who said it works fairly well.  You could also try a program called fips,
it was recommended for new installs of linux w/o having to
re-partition/re-format your hard drive but I seem to recall it always came
with big warnings to backup, backup, backup, before you tried anything with
it.  Does anyone have direct experience with fips? It ought to be on any
linux site with utilities to get an installation up and going.