[ale] IP aliasing, RH 4.0 amd the works

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 6 11:55:17 EST 1996

My RH 4.0 installation (on two separate machines) didn't go
as smoothly, but I'll have to admit that many of my problems
were hardware and user (me) related.  This RedHat experience
has humbled me.

I'd like to thank Dan and Eric for their comments on IP aliasing.
I did find some docs on it in the NET-2 HOWTO, though I could
have sworn I originally read about it in Linux Journal.  Anyway,
the HOWTO gives a good example of doing it, except that I found
using "route add -net aa.bb.cc.dd netmask aa.bb.xx.yy" was
better than the "route add -host aa.bb.cc.dd" in the HOWTO.  And
the aliased addresses on the same NIC don't have to be of the
same subnet.

Well, hopefully I can now quit eating up everyone's bandwidth
with my Linux woes.

 Andrew Newton
 Andrew.Newton at automatedlogic.com
 lfs at eskimo.com