[ale] OT: cheap notebook

Mark Ulmer mark at markulmer.com
Mon Apr 29 10:08:07 EDT 2024

Boris,

I tried this cheap notebook. I installed Ubuntu alongside Windows. I
later messed up the grub. Once this happened, for some reason I could no
longer get into the BIOS.  It was "Bricked".  Email to support revealed
that the support and warranty are only for School Systems that purchase
in bulk.  They were unable to suggest any factory reset options.

I never made it to the point to try LTE on Ubuntu. Wifi does not work
automatically in Ubuntu without doing special driver installation.
Ultimately I returned to MicroCenter within the 14 days and it was
accepted.

PROS:  Small light physical format was cool. Price. I tried the LTE on
Windows and it worked.

CONS: Wifi does not work automatically on Ubuntu. Easy to "brick"
device.

Mark