[ale] Cloning laptop drive didn't work

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Apr 28 14:11:01 EDT 2024

Even weirder, I moved the USB cable over to the original machine and
plugged the SSD into it through the mSATA/IDE adpater (so the chain is
mSATA -> IDE -> USB). The machine booted from the SSD over USB just fine
but it won't boot correctly when the SSD is installed in the IDE bay.

When I boot using the adapter in the IDE bay I get a lot of ata1.00
revalidation failed messages plus many other ata errors. All I did was
move the drive out of the IDE bay and onto the USB cable and it worked.

Now I'm completely lost why this worked.