[ale] Cloning laptop drive didn't work

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Apr 26 03:42:57 EDT 2024

I've cloned drives before on other laptops to replace an older or
failing drive and had no issues but this time I'm not getting a fully
working drive.

The laptop is an old 32-bit Toshiba with a 256 GB IDE drive. I purchased
and IDE to mSATA adapter board and a 512 GB mSATA SSD. I've done this
exact swap before on a different laptop that ran Windows and everything
was fine. The Toshiba has Debian Bookworm installed on it.

I made an image of the full drive and then dd'ed it to the SSD. Plugged
it into the Toshiba and got the GRUB menu and the initramfs loaded. But
then it just had all kinds of ATA timeouts and stopped in its tracks. I
tried disabling ACPI and that didn't help.

If I plug the full stack of IDE adapter and SSD into a USB to IDE
adapter and plug that into another computer I can mount the SSD and see
all the files, no problem.

I'm not sure what the issue is at this point because everything seems to
be in place. Thoughts?