[ale] Linux kernel

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Nov 15 22:08:12 EST 2023

Jon "maddog" Hall via Ale said on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:28:38 -0500

>The other thing that surprised me was the passage that said "Comments
>just slow down the compilation".
>
>Paaaaleese!  Even the heaviest commented source code on a compiled
>program would be a breeze for the compiler to handle.  This excuse is
>fake news.

Maddog, is the first step, before lexical analysis, replacing all space
characters and newlines with tokens so the lexical analyzer sees the
program as a single string?

If that's the case, I can see where // to the next linefeed and /* to
the next */ would be very fast.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt