[ale] Local File Storage options

Justin Goldberg justgold79 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 14:19:44 EDT 2019

Saved the comment below for posterity, since I saw you mention that the
storage is local:
A faster option compared to samba in Winder$ is iSCSI, but the iSCSI
initiator on Windows (on both the client and server OS) only allows a
single client to mount the iSCSI device. I don't know if that's part of the
iSCSI standard. I have used in the past for faster network-based Windows
Server Backups to Buffalo & netgear NAS'.

Another thought is exFAT, which is a gray area as others have mentioned.
Linux has a FUSE driver for it. Other options:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT#Reimplementations

I have used FAT32 reliably on larger drives (I recall Windows Disk
Management let me resize a slaved FAT32 partition to 500GB the last time I
tried) but again, no journaling, DEFINITELY use a UPS (a bad idea for a
laptop).

ReFS has read only support but is abandoned by MSFT and is only supported
on the Server OS AFAIK.

ZFS on Windows is making progress, but it isn't stable yet. You have have
some luck with these options [
https://superuser.com/questions/289189/access-a-zfs-volume-in-windows] but
I haven't tried them.

There's been a need for awhile for a modern non-patent/license encumbered
filesystem for local storage supported by every OS.