[ale] News: Red Hat slams into reverse on CPU fix for Spectre design blunder

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Jan 18 14:20:18 EST 2018

What RHEL (and therefore CentOS) released yesterday reverts to the microcode version before the one they released a week or so ago trying to fix Spectre.   That is to say if you install/update the "patch" you essentially are uninstalling/downgrading the microcode version.

After the microcode downgrade you'd need to get a hardware vendor supplied packages to address Spectre.   Ideally this would come from Intel or AMD but if you are using a 3rd party manufacturer (e.g. Dell, Lenovo, HP) for your system that includes one of the affected processors you would need to get the update from that 3rd party (e.g. a BIOS/Firmware update).

Dell when I checked a week or so ago was only providing an update for the last 2 generations of servers so any older system is in a catch 22 as the Distro thinks the hardware provider should provide the patch,  the chip makers think the folks that built the systems around their chips should provide it to customers who bought those systems and the folks that built the systems feel they have no obligation to provide such updates for otherwise unsupported systems.

Given that this flaw is said to exist in most chips built in the last 10 years I think the chip makers should be the ones providing the updates to end users regardless of whether the systems built around the systems are supported by their makers or not.   I'm sure the lawyers are going to have a field day with refusal to do so.